- Address: New York, NY
- E-mail: pierre.jambet [ at ] gmail.com
Backend web developer
Mar 2014 - Present -
Backend web developer at Harry's, New York:
I joined the web development team as the fifth full time engineer and contributed to its growth. The team has currently more than 20 full time engineers.
I have been a core member of the interviewing team, helping put together an interview experience that emphasizes candidate experience by having a pair programming session instead of writing code on a whiteboard.
Contributed to writing internal design documents such as RFCs for major projects.
Helped setting a high standard of code quality, especially through code reviews on Pull Requests .
Gave internal talks on topics such as Pull Requests best practices, error handling in Scala and lesser known database index types, BRIN indexes.
Ran an internal Scala class to help other engineers learn more advanced topics in Scala and Function Programming.
Development of the e-commerce platform. The following is a highlight of my many contributions to the platform:
Major contributor to the design, conception and implementation of the extraction of our first service from our RoR monolith to a Scala app, using Play.
This service handles the payment and fulfillment phases for all orders on harrys.com and shopflamingo.com in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.
It leverages Akka Stream to handle the processing of tens of thousand of orders every day.
Contributor to the development of our second service, acting as the backend API for shopflamingo.com, which is static website build using GatsbyJS.
- Implemented the Ruby API used by the iOS application
- Backend development: Ruby on Rails and Play (with Scala)
- Open Source Projects:
- Dynosaur: Autoscaler for Heroku dynos and addons
- Seed Migration: Rails engine to handle data migrations
- Rails Pipeline: Emit a versioned stream of changes to a pub/sub queue when ActiveRecord models are saved
Nov 2013 - Mar 2014 -
Backend developer at Fueled, New York:
- Backend development: Python, Django
- Frontend development: Backbone.js, AngularJS
- API Development
January 2012 - Feb 2013 -
Web developer at Wopata, Bordeaux, France:
- Full stack developer, Ruby on Rails and RSpec
- SQL & NoSQL databases: PostgreSQL, MongoDB
- API Development
Education - M.S. in Computer Science and Management
2011 University of Applied Sciences, Metropolia, IT & Media Engineering
2009-2011 École d'ingénieur Polytech Montpellier, Informatique et Gestion, France
Engineering School (3rd & 4th year) in Computer science and Management, France
2007-2009 Parcours Ecoles Ingenieurs POLYTECH’, France
Université Montpellier II, France
Side project: Beech
Sadly the app is not available on the App store anymore, but here is a link to the original design.
Beech is a small project I made with my designer friend, Luc. It’s an iPhone app which allows people to share the beer they love with their friends. Luc designed the app, and I built the entire stack. The client is an iOS app, and the API is a Rails app. It is available on github: https://github.com/pjambet/beech-server.
- MVC frameworks: Play, Rails and Django
- Strong understanding of common web protocols such as HTTP, AMPQ 0.9.1 and TCP
- Relational databases: PostgreSQL and MySQL
- AWS services, such as S3, DynamoDB, SQS, SNS and Fargate with ECS
- Unix based systems, mainly macOS and Linux (Ubuntu)
- Basic knowledge of other popular modern web techologies such as Node.js and ASP.net
- Basic knowledge of iPhone application development.
- Good web front-end skills : HTML/CSS, including Haml and Sass
- Native language: French
- English (Advanced level) - TOEIC: 980/990 (C1)
- Spanish (Basic knowledge)